Since its founding in 1977, the El Paso Community Foundation has awarded more than $167,606,198 in grants to nonprofit organizations and individuals in the greater El Paso region. We constantly look for innovative approaches to solve community problems and to meet our community’s ever evolving needs.
If you have already started your application and need access to complete it, click here .
The El Paso Community Foundation and its supporting organizations respond to the needs of nonprofit organizations by providing grants in the greater El Paso region.
El Paso Community Foundation
Provides funding for a variety of philanthropic projects in the El Paso region, far west Texas, southern New Mexico, and northern Chihuahua, Mexico – Click here to apply for this grant
Burkitt Foundation Perpetual Fund
Provides funding for Catholic Schools (K-12) in the dioceses of Galveston-Houston, San Antonio and El Paso; and Hunger and Nutrition Services in the El Paso County area
Catholic – Click here to apply for this grant – Click here for supplemental questions to attach to your application
Non-Catholic – Click here to apply for this grant
The Cardwell Foundation
Provides funding for a variety of philanthropic projects primarily in the El Paso region, far west Texas, southern New Mexico, and northern Chihuahua, Mexico
Walter H. Hightower Fund
Provides funding for medical care and treatment of children with disabilities in the West Texas and Southern New Mexico area – Click here to apply for this grant
Stern Foundation Perpetual Charitable Fund
Provides funding for a variety of charitable interests primarily in the El Paso region – Click here to apply for this grant
Stern Foundation Perpetual Medical and Scientific Research Fund
Provides funding for medical programs, research, professorships and projects primarily in the El Paso region (including Juarez, Mexico) – Click here to apply for this grant
Granting Areas of Interest:
- Arts and Humanities
- Health and Disabilities
- Human Services (basic human needs)
- Economic Development
- More effective ways of doing things – ideas that require risk-taking.
- Projects where a moderate amount of grant money can have an impact.
- Projects that show collaboration with other organizations.
We generally do not make grants to:
- Capital campaigns
- Fundraising events/projects
- Religious organizations for religious purposes
- Annual appeals and membership contributions
- Organizations that are political or partisan in purpose
- Travel for individuals or groups
- Organizations outside the greater El Paso geographic area
- Endowment Funds
- Past operating deficits
Grant Application Tips:
- Application deadlines are Feb 1 and August 1. You may apply online 30 days prior to the deadline.
- You can save your application to finish at a later time prior to submitting.
- If you are required to submit a grant report, please do so before submitting a new grant application.
- Nonprofit organizations can submit only one request for consideration per funding source in any 12-month period.
- Please do not submit application in all upper-case lettering.
- If you have questions, feel free to call us at the Foundation at 915-533-4020.
In 2015, 123 local students were recipients of El Paso Community Foundation scholarships. The students represent many public high schools in our area and have distinguished themselves through academic honors, extracurricular activities, volunteerism and leadership. The selection process is often handled through the scholarship offices at the University of Texas at El Paso, El Paso Community College, and New Mexico State University.
If you are currently enrolled in University of Texas at El Paso, El Paso Community College, or New Mexico State University, please contact the scholarship office on campus for more information on scholarships provided by the El Paso Community Foundation. Graduating high school seniors may apply at their school for the scholarships listed below.
- LaNelle Boling Scholarship – Regional Day School Program for the Deaf
- Ruth E. Gillett Scholarship – Andress High School
- Robert T. Golberg Scholarship – El Paso Independent School District high schools
- Rosa Guerrero Scholarship – El Paso High School
- Edgar L. & Sibley Cirlot Hunter – Tularosa High School, Tularosa, NM
- Carly Laverde Memorial Scholarship – Coronado High School
- Yashar Mahmood Memorial Scholarship – El Paso High School
- John and Everett Melby Scholarship – El Paso High School
- Robert G. Neill, Jr. Scholarship – Irvin High School
- Harlow L. Paul III Scholarship – Burges High School
- First National Bank Scholarship Fund for the Children of El Paso County/Ft. Bliss soldiers Killed in Action
- Makios Technology Fund – Will award tuition and educational related expenses to El Paso County students pursuing careers in Information Technology
- Bears Beyond the Border Scholarship Fund – Bowie High School
Recipients are selected by counselors, principals and/or scholarship committees. Contact your counselor for an application. For information about scholarship applications, contact Bonita Johnson at 915-533-4020.
Join the generous El Pasoans who provide an ongoing investment in the youth of El Paso. For information on establishing a scholarship fund contact Eric Pearson at 915-533-4020.